Monday, July 4, 2011

The stars at night, are big and bright.... Deep in the Heart of Texas!!

Coming at you live from Central Texas, I only have time for a short entry tonight, as the computer battery is dying..

Sitting at a rest stop near Ft. Stockton, about half way between El Paso and San Antonio.  My destination -- just outside of Baton Rouge -- brings me all the way across Texas, and it's a great drive.  Temps are in the high 90s, low 100s, but the air conditioning keeps it cool.  I could easily see living in Texas or New Mexico.  I thought the West Texas Town of El Paso was a cool looking city, and i wish i had time to explore it.  Maybe someday....  Listened to Mexican radio all day today.  Was great.  Felt like i was sitting in a Mexican food restaurant all day, but without the chips or margarita.   Was REALLY hankering for those.

Sorry i can't stop by Padre Island to buy you a cerveza  JL, but i will be buying fuel in Baytown....

Yesterday was my birthday, and it was a hard day.  I woke up with a flat tire, and that kind of set the tone for the day.   Thankfully i had spent the night at a rest stop that had a truck service center, so they got me on the road cheaply and quickly.  Appreciated the many good wishes, on FB as well as via text.  Thanks to everyone for that.  It helped to feel a little less alone.

I think i'm coming to grips with the fact that i'm sort of a wanderer, someone who has a hard time settling into a single routine.  That may be why this truck driving gig appeals to me.  May also explain some of the difficulties i've had.  More on all of that later, but the thought had been occurring to me today....hmmmm.

Turning in at about midnight so i can drive all day tomorrow.  I really hate driving at night, and i need to cover 500 miles.  The next day requires 400, and then i should be in Louisiana early for my appointment with Walmart.

Hope everyone had a safe and fun Fourth of July.  Missed all of you (family) in Seaside.

Stay safe....

KWA

2 comments:

  1. Long trip on I-10 from El Paso to Orange, TX, about 850 miles I believe. You were closest to me when you went through San Antonio, Corpus is about 150 miles further south. Too bad on your journeys you don't get to enjoy some of the areas you go through. San Antonio is an awesome place to spend some time with the River Walk through town and scores of great Mexican resturants. Hope you have fun crossing the Mississippi in Baton Rouge in that truck. I always love that bridge. Baton Rouge only 70 miles north of New Orleans, you would love New Orleans. San Antonio to New Orleans, now you are in MY country!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a ramblin' man with a gypsy soul... so maybe tomorrow will be better.........

    ReplyDelete