Friday, July 15, 2011

The simple joy of being "just a number"

At the Charms candy plant in Covington, Tennessee.  Not far from the birth place of Isaac Hayes.  What a beautiful morning, with the fog rolling up off the corn fields.  It's amazing, here in the south -- people have such large front yards and every one of them is mowed perfectly.  You don't see any trashy, overgrown yards, even in front of very modest homes.  People obviously take pride in where they live.

Days have all been well over 100 during my  travels through Texas and Tennessee.  Muggy too.  Still, it's a beautiful area.

I'm certainly getting a new perspective on life and work since beginning my trucking adventure.  I'm realizing for the very first time in my life that i don't need to be doing something amazing, that i don't need to do something that impresses anyone.  I can be alright just doing a job and doing it well.  I had always thought that my life was going to result in absolutely spectacular things, that i was going to leave a major mark wherever i went.  But i'm finding myself very satisfied with just being a "number", being one of countless other drivers.  And i find a great deal of satisfaction with simply doing the job right -- driving safely and getting the load there on time.  There is actual peace and joy in that.  But i AM trying to be the best driver in the fleet.  I guess there still is a little competitive fire there....

And i'm loving seeing the countryside. We  live in a beautiful country.  I wish everyone could see it from the perspective of a truck cab.

I miss the girls tremendously.

And i miss my wife.

Stay safe....

KWA

1 comment:

  1. You're starting to LOOK like a truck driver Ken!!! Ha ha ha!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete