Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A dark cloud in sunny Arizona....

Well, i was going to take a break from the "heavy" and go with some lighter stuff for today's blog, because it's been a pretty good couple of days up to this point.

But i'm kind of bummed out right now -- my paycheck for the week was a grand total of $1.37.  Sigh.  Last week I was in the hole $35.  How does that work?  Well, i'm what they call a "lease-operator" as opposed to a company driver.  A lease operator is an independent contractor to CR England.  We lease the truck from England, and are responsible for all costs, including fuel, insurance, permits, etc.  My total fixed and variable costs for the week were almost $2,400.  I get paid $0.95 per mile.  I did about 2,500 miles for the week.  Needless to say, that's not sustainable.

We each have a Driver Manager, who is responsible for managing the dispatches and other issues for a fleet of about 80 drivers. My DM is pretty good, and we have a good relationship.  I told him about my situation and he's going to try to get me 3000+ miles this coming week.  I appreciate that, but it doesn't help when you can't eat today....

CR England pushes all students hard to be lease operators.  They claim that lease operators get priority dispatch on the best loads (i.e., most miles), which helps you make all kinds of money.  I think i bought in to the rhetoric and trusted that they have a good program worked out to help you at least stay afloat.  Clearly, that's not happening to me.

Not sure that this grand experiment isn't going to end in a ball of flames very, very soon....

Very discouraging, but trying to keep my chin up.  I wonder if Subway is hiring...i'm pretty familiar with their product.

Stay safe....

KWA

1 comment:

  1. Man, Ken! That totally sucks!!! Even if they get you 3,000 miles that's still less than $500 in a paycheck, or $2000 for the month. Not what I'd think they'd be referring to as "big bucks". Sure hope they can get this worked out for you. Sounds like a lease operator is a sweet deal only for England. You do all the work for them and bear all the burden, and have nothing to show for it? Do keep us posted on what you get worked out!

    ReplyDelete