Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 21 -- Behind the wheel, for real....

Greetings from somewhere in Texas, eastbound on Interstate 40 -- the land of barbecue and ZZ Top.

After pulling my first 11-hour driving shift, i can now say that i'm a truck  driver!

(I drove from about noon yesterday until 11 pm.  I am now required to rest for 10 hours before the US DOT permits me to drive again).

And i'm here to tell ya, people, it ain't easy! EVERYthing is a challenge on these rigs, from learning to shift a 9-speed transmission to simply keeping the truck in the proper lane when every whisper of wind wants to push you into the neighboring lane.

The first embarrassing moment came when i stalled the truck immediately upon trying to leave our truck stop parking space.  I popped the clutch, and THUD!. We lurched to a violent stop, spilling my coffee and getting the attention of my truck mates.. And when an 18-wheeler stalls it does so with such drama and noise.

I took a deep breath, fired the engine up again and lumbered out of the San Joaquin Valley  Flying J truck stop, turning south to connect with Interstate 40 via Bakersfield and Barstow.

My next "exciting" incident happened about 20 minutes later, when we were headed southwest on Highway 99, a two lane highway with a speed limit of 55 mph.  CR England policy is to go 5 mph under the speed limit, but i was going the allowable 55.  I had a line of a few cars and at least two trucks behind me.  Suddenly, the CB radio, which has been silent the entire trip, chirped to life: "Hey England!  Let's speed it up!  What's your problem?"  And another voice chimed in, "Yeah England!  Let's move it!" Needless to say, that shook me. I began to sweat and wasn't sure what to do.  But quick as a snap, Fabrice/Mike grabbed the CB radio and offered an explanation to our speed that started with "F" and ended with "you".   We didn't hear another word out of the other truckers.  Fabrice/Mike just smiled at me and said "don't worry about it.  Shake it off."

Driving professionally is an interesting activity, and it borders on the Zen.  It requires absolute focus on the activity in front of you.  Time and space are measured from one shift of the transmission to another, and for as long as the stopping distance of an 80,000 lb truck/trailer combination (about 420 feet when traveling 55 mph) .  This is good for me, as i have always had a tendency to live in the past or the future, but rarely in the moment.  Right now, this is helping me to let go of things that need to be let go of (or that were already gone), and to hold on to the things that need to be held close -- children, and health.

Driving forces me to be fully in the moment.  There is no yesterday, because it is already over and done.  There is no tomorrow because it has not yet come.  There is only now, and to drive safely requires every bit of energy and concentration. Someone told me recently that i need to quit looking back to what was and instead spend my energy on what IS right now and to invest my energy in creating the "me" that  i want to be.  And then let things fall where they may.  I'm realizing that was very good advice, and my current vocation provides me with an ideal opportunity to do so.  Although it will and does come at a cost.  I really miss the kids, for example.  Grace just sang a solo with her Leslie Middle School choir and i missed it.   I also miss playing music.  Not playing is something i miss terribly.  But that's the exchange for this lifestyle/profession, however.  I hope it proves worth it....

So with that philosophy in mind, i resolve to release the past, both the good and the bad, the loves and the losses, and not let either be a determinant in what i am to become, daily growing and changing.  After all, i'm not getting any younger and life is speeding by faster than the vehicles with which i share this stretch of Texas highway.

Photos
Top: Palm trees at San Joaquin Valley rest area
Left: Mike-Just-Mike, my fellow Phase 1 student.
Bottom: A stretch of Arizona highway, taken during my driving shift (shhh!)


Stay safe my friends....      


      KWA


1 comment:

  1. Good job Ken! Thanks for the pictures. Hang in there. You will get to experience things we only dream of. Be careful out there! Lots of loonies driving around:)
    ANDREA

    ReplyDelete